We Love No Other 6.8 - Illini Basketball 2018~2022

Robert
Jul 27, 2022
[]
[]
1 Comments

We have reached the end. Eight weeks to cover 40 years. Eight episodes spanning 18 hours, 48 minutes, and 11 seconds. Every single piece of Illini basketball history the last 40 years that existed in my brain, now cataloged within eight podcast episodes.

And can I just say... this was exhausting. Maybe that's the wrong word because I loved doing this. It's just... I had no idea how drained I would feel after each recording. Sometimes I felt like I needed a full two days for my brain to recover.

See, I did this as a livestream from my brain. For the first one (maybe the first two) I did a tiny bit of research, but for the rest, I just went straight off memory. I wanted to do it like that, even though I knew I'd make some mistakes and remember a game from 2008 which was actually a game from 2006. I simply put the schedule on the screen in front of me and let some of the scores trigger memories.

And when you do this, apparently, you fry your brain. After doing this for eight consecutive weeks I'm convinced that some medical student studying the brain could write a paper on this. Immediately after recording some of the episodes - especially the 2.5 hour and 3 hour episodes - my brain was hot garbage.

I'd sometimes sit down to write a simple 700-word 90i post and have absolutely nothing come out. Whatever part of my brain I use to make the words come out was completely overheated like my iPhone when it sits out in the sun. You know that little thermometer symbol that shows up on your phone when it's too hot to operate? I need one of those on my forehead.

Don't get me wrong here. I enjoyed all 18 hours and 48 minutes. This was super fun for me. I simply had no idea that my brain would feel like my legs feel the morning after a long hike.

Anyway, here's the final episode. My guest: Brandon Indianapolis. Until this week, I'm not even sure I knew his real last name. I just had him in my phone as "Brandon - Indianapolis" to remember that this was the Brandon I knew from the 2021 NCAA Tournament in Indianapolis (the entire story is explained in the pod). So now and forever more he's just... Brandon Indianapolis.

Brandon and I spend nearly three hours talking about the Underwood era - the 2017/18 season through the present. From the loss at EIU in the 2017 exhibition game to the 2022 Big Ten title and everything in between. And, yes, we talk about the three games after the Big Ten title this spring. Barely. Still too raw.

If you listen to podcasts on Apple Podcasts you can find the episode here. If you listen on Spotify, you can find the episode here. If you listen somewhere else, search for We Love No Other. And if you want to listen online, you can do that right here.

Enjoy. I'm gonna go take a nap.

Comments

blueandorange on July 27, 2022 @ 01:32 PM

Great idea Robert! Really enjoyed listening to all the episodes

Speak Your Mind

Please login or register to post comments on the IlliniBoard.

Post Preview